The world of internet demands effective marketing strategies, latest technologies and constant communication with the target audience, directly or indirectly. Search engine optimization and Social media optimization are the two online methods of website optimization.
Social media optimization (SMO) is considered to be an effective way to promote the website by connecting with online communities, websites and forums. For promoting your website, for promoting the product/ services the company is offering, SMO tactics are used to generate traffic and build cordial relationship with customers across the globe.
Social Media Optimization (SMO) offers a set of strategies for generating publicity, creating viral marketing and increasing incoming website visitor traffic by using existing social media, online communities and social networking websites.
Given below are some of the simple rules of SMO that you need to follow to give your users a good experience and attract them towards your website:
There are two categories of SMO methods:
- Identify your audience and come up with new marketing strategies to target them
- Write genuine content that is fresh and original
- Make linking, tagging, bookmarking, and sharing easy for the users
- Make your content float through RSS feed, newsletters, and e-marketing.
- Be open to comments and reviews, and address to them regularly
Some of the methodologies for SMO are as given below:
- Social media features added to the content itself, including RSS feeds, social news and sharing buttons, user rating and polling tools, and integrating third-party community functionalities like images and videos
- Promotional activities in social media apart from the content being promoted. This is done via blogging, commenting on other blogs, participating in discussion groups, and posting status updates on social networking profiles SMO is related to search engine marketing, but the approach is different. The primary focus of SMO is to drive traffic from sources other than search engines. Social media optimization is similar to viral marketing where communication is established through the use of networking in social bookmarking, video and photo sharing websites. Social Media optimization is an integral part of Search Engine Reputation Management strategy for organizations that care about the brand identity and the online presence.
- Dynamic Content: Similar to Search Engine Optimization, content is considered to be the backbone of Social Media Optimization. Dynamic contents have to be prepared for websites, so that the websites are optimized for Social Media.
- Social Bookmarking: This is an important aspect of SMO that includes adding social bookmarking tools as well as specific bookmarking services like bookmarking and tag optimization for different social bookmarking portals.
- Blog Optimization: Blogs are important for your website to be optimized for social media. Wordpress comes with excellent SEO plugin that makes blogs easier to be optimized.
- RSS (Really Simple Syndication): This is an effective way to distribute the dynamic content of the website to various RSS portals.
SMO is all about using the power of communication through electronic media to attract visitors to your website and to turn them into potential customers.