The cyber-world is dynamic and has revolutionized the style and approach of doing business. Using web, the horizons of business can be expanded, allowing business owners to reach audiences across the globe and increase sales monumentally. Those who wish to take advantage of doing business online know the significance of having a successful online marketing plan. However, it is not an easy task. Countless businesses have tried and failed because of the common mistakes they made in their marketing strategies. If your are planning to use the web to promote your company, you should be well-aware of the top 10 internet marketing mistakes that online marketers generally commit.
- Delivering old news: The most important rule of online business is to keep your content updated. You have a short span of time to grab the attention of the visitors; so make sure what you are showing them is current. Eye catching and fresh content can keep visitors engaged.
- Not keeping up with technology: Everyday, the internet world embraces new technology. So if you want your online marketing campaign to be successful, you need to adapt to those changes and keep up. If your strategy doesn't evolve, your business will not grow, because of lack of exposure on the web.
- Underestimating the importance of viral marketing: Marketers, who take their campaigns online, often forget the importance of viral marketing as an important web strategy for reaching the target audience. These are simple and relatively inexpensive ways to get your business noticed.
- Making things too complicated: Offering an option for visitors to provide their email address or sign up for your newsletter is a great approach to gather their information for future marketing opportunities. But if they have to click through 12 different pages to do so, then within seconds the effectiveness of the marketing strategy will vanish. So keep it simple, if you want to see results.
- Label of spammer: Purchasing email addresses can be a lucrative marketing approach but it is not a legitimate marketing technique. Once you get the label of spammer, you would not be able to ever run another email campaign.
- Ignoring the significance of non-converting visitors: A good online marketing campaign focuses on getting visitors to a site, and capturing information about the visitors who did visit your site, but did not make a purchase. This is termed as 'Retargeting'. By remarketing, you can remind these visitors to come back to your website when they are ready to buy.
- Forgetting to measure: Spending time and money on developing a top-of-the-line marketing plan is not enough. You need to regularly measure the performance to be able to achieve the results you desire. Measuring and evaluating your plan's results will help you to decide the course of the action.
- Confusing traffic with results: Realize the fact that getting a ton of traffic to your website does not necessarily mean your marketing plan is working. Your ultimate aim is to generate traffic and convert the potential customers into regular customers. Do not get confused between traffic and customers. Regularly measure and evaluate your campaign and fine tune your strategy until you start seeing the conversions you want.
- Unique marketing campaign for all: Strategy followed by one company may be completely wrong for others. So spend quality time to customize your marketing strategy to best suit your business and most effectively reach your audience.
- Being afraid to ask for help: There are firms that specialize in building customized marketing plans to make your online endeavor a success. Consult such firms to develop and maintain an effective online marketing plan.
These are the top 10 internet marketing mistakes to be avoided while promoting your website on the mesh.